Tuesday, October 20, 2009

An Owl In The Night


Hello one and all! Okay, so I have been incredibly busy as of late, and I apologize for not posting daily. I will continue to do my best to post daily, but if I miss a day here and there, please don't hold it against me :P

So, as I was leaving my apartment earlier this evening, I saw an owl perched on a fence post that surrounds the pool. At first I thought it was fake, and that someone had set it on there. However, as soon as I stopped to look at it, it turned it's head and looked at me. I stood there for a few minutes just admiring. It's not very often that an owl is so low to the ground, at eye level, and you are able to observe it's movements. While staring at this creature of the night, I started thinking of my grandmother who passed away from alzheimer's a handful of years ago. She loved owl's. I have very vivid memories of being a child and going to visit her. Throughout her house were owl pictures, pillow's with owls on them that she had made, as well as cloth cupholder's, and candle place mat's she had made as well. Since I was young at the time, I never got the chance to ask her why she liked owl's so much. I wish I would have had the chance. Everytime I see something with an owl, or simply think of an owl, I am reminded of her smile, warmth, and love.

I miss her everyday, and think of her often. I just want to encourage you to never waste a moment, or opportunity to ask your grandparents, parents, relatives, friends etc, questions about their life, and their story. In turn, never hesitate to share your own story when asked. It's crucial that we enjoy the limited amount of time with the one's that are close to us. It is something we should never take for granted.

I hope your week is going well.

-Nick

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grandmother also really likes owls! I have never asked her what it is about the owls that she likes so much... I think I will ask her now.. :)

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete